As we age, cell turnover slows down and dead skin cells linger on the surface giving you a dull complexion. Regular exfoliation of both your face and body will help get rid of the dead top layers of skin. This will allow serums and moisturizers to better penetrate the skin and help strengthen a healthy foundation. Creams and lotions need to be absorbed to be effective. Below are some cheap and easy ways to exfoliate your skin at home with natural ingredients and tools.
1. For facial skin, soak a washcloth in whole milk and drape it over your face. Milk has lactic acid that will help exfoliate the skin while the milk fat will keep the skin moisturized. After five minutes, rinse out the washcloth and gently remove any remaining milk on your face with the cloth.
2. For the face and whole body, try a combination of white sugar, salt, lime juice and olive oil. Add 2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil to 1/2 cup of white sugar, 1 tablespoon of lime juice and 1 tablespoon of white table salt and use the solution as a face or body scrub. This is great for dry skin as the oil will help the skin retain moisture while the skin is being exfoliated. Olive oil is safe for use on the whole body and will no clog pores.
3. Consider trying an oatmeal scrub by blending a cup of oatmeal with a sprinkle of dried lavender and blossoms. You can also combine oatmeal half and half with corn meal in a blender, and add a sprinkle of raw almonds or sunflower seeds with your choice of essential oils. After making the dry mix, add a few teaspoons of water to a small handful of the oatmeal mix and use it as a facial scrub.
4. For use on the tougher skin areas, especially in your knees and elbows, try a loofah. It is about as natural as you can get for exfoliating, as they are just the dried insides of a gourd. You can use one to scrub your whole body with warm water or the addition of a mild soap. For hard to reach spots, such as the middle of your back, you can buy a loofah with a wooden handle.
5. For calloused or rough feet and heels, try a pumice stone while in the shower or bath. This is a foamy stock naturally produced by volcanoes and usually comes in a light gray or cream color. You can buy them in the health and beauty aisle of most department stores. Use them on the rough skin of your heels when your feet and soapy and wet.
When using oatmeal and sugar scrubs, make sure that you rub the skin gently, especially on the face. Scrubbing too vigorously will irritate the areas of sensitive skin. A thorough facial exfoliation treatment
will help you get rid of lip lines as well. For more extensive exfoliation procedures, you might consider using some pharmaceutical grade anti-aging skin care products or laser skin care treatments under the precision care of an experienced skin care physician in Harrisburg PA . Exfoliation of the skin as we age is probably the most important step in maintaining a youthful healthy glow.